Was feeling bored and petulant at work so I tried doodling Cadistra in the style of Skullgirls.
It was a failure but still fun! I would imagine her Blockbuster would be turning into a bunch of different animals….or something. I dunno lol
WHERE IS THIS PLACE
I MUST GO THERE
I’m like 99% sure this place is somewhere in Vancouver? I think my sister wants to take me there sometime.
Somewhere in Vancouver, you say?
Yup! This is in Vancouver; just over on Seymour St near Cambie. I’ve been there a couple times; I love it!
i found the video
Are you shitting me?
Everybody go home
This is it
Was nice knowing you, internet
Okay, so maybe you are a man. Maybe you haven’t had the easiest ride in lifeâmaybe you grew up in poverty; you’ve experienced death, neglect, and despair; you hate your job, your car, your body. Maybe somebody (or multiple somebodies) pulverized your heart, or maybe you’ve never even been loved enough to know what a broken heart feels like. Maybe shit started out unfair and became irreparable and you never deserved any of this. Maybe everything looks fine on paper, but you’re just unhappy and you don’t know why. These are human problems and other human beings feel for you very deeply. It is hard to be a human. I am so sorry.
A really well thought-out and well presented article. I thank my friend Merlemage for showing this to me.
MY CANADIAN FOLLOWERS WILL UNDERSTAND.
It’s fries with cheese and bacon. *shrugs*
This is why you’re not going to be let into the country.
Well… I suppose if you really don’t -want- me in the country, I can stay here.
No, you just need a proper edumacation.
…Where’s the gravy? And take it from me - that better be good cheese; cheap cheese is yuck. Cheese curds all the way!
How the fuck does Bill Nye expect this to happen? What do you want to do, force women to enroll in science courses, regardless of whether or not they want to do it? Just for the sake of having “enough” women? Why the fuck do these fractions matter so much? It’s not like people are holding guns to our head and threatening to kill us if we become interested in science.
Maybe, just maybe, a lot of us DON’T FUCKING WANT to be scientists. Is that a crime?
Hi there, princess-munchkin. Female engineering student here.
Bill Nye is not saying that you HAVE to be a scientist, and you are right that no one is holding a gun to my head because I am interested in science, but let me tell you some of the struggles of being a woman in the STEM fields.
1) Because I am a woman, I am not expected these fields. I first fully realized this when I was in high school, on my robotics team. See, although my robotics team was about 50% female, most of the women were part of the “business administration” side of things: finance, marketting, PR, membership, etc. Was this a problem? Absolutely not. But I was there to be an engineer, and specifically, to be the robot programmer. This was met with a lot of hesitation at first from some of the other students (all of whom happened to be male. This is not necessarily a bad thing.) You see, all of the robot programmers before me were guys. Computer programming is just a thing that guys do, or so they thought. Even after I had proved myself to the mentors on the team, many of the students still underestimated my abilities. There were rumors going around that I wouldn’t have been able to program the robot at all if the lead software mentor wasn’t there to help me. This was just flat-out false, but it wasn’t until I won an award for the team that the other students actually saw my merit.
2) There is not a lot of encouragement for women to go into these fields. I first noticed this when I was in elementary school. I was always interested in math, science, you name it, but many of my teachers and family members pushed that to the side for a long time. When I asked for legos for christmas, I would get ballet slippers. In fact, for a long time, I was training to be a professional dancer. I loved to dance. I loved math more, but no one seemed to notice that about me. It wasn’t until I had a long conversation with one particular teacher in high school that I decided to look into engineering. I had never even considered it as an option before, because no one decided to encourage me to pursue my interest in science. If it hadn’t been for that teacher, I would probably not be at the school I am at right now.
3) For a long time, Engineering/Science/Math WAS a “boys only” club. Let me tell you when some of the top technical schools and societies started letting women in:
- RPI, The oldest tech school in the country, founded in 1824. Started admitting women in 1942 to “replace men called to war.” Campus housing for women wasn’t constructed until 1966.
- Tau Beta Pi, the Engineering Honors Society - Founded in 1885. Started admitting women in 1968.
- Caltech - Currently rated #3 in undergraduate engineering. Founded in 1891. Started admitting women in 1970.
- Georgia Tech - Currently rated #5 in undergraduate engineering. Founded in 1885. Started admitting women in 1952.
Do you see the implications of this? Engineering has been a part of our society since around the late 1800s (in the case of RPI, since the 1820s), but women weren’t even allowed in for the most part until the 1950s, regardless of their merit.
4) Because of the fact that it was a “boys only” club for such a long time, there are not a lot of women engineers and scientists to look up to. When you’re reading your physics, chemistry, and math text books, the majority of those theories were came up with by men. It is true that much of our history was written by White Men, but this does not mean that the fact that there are few women scientists to look up does not matter.
So, as you can hopefully see, princess-munckin, or anyone else that shares the opinions of princess-munchkin, Bill Nye was not arguing that women that are not interested in STEM should go into those fields anyway. But he IS arguing against all of the systematic barriers set up against women who ARE interested in engineering and science. There are several women out there who are just as good as the boys at math and science, but will never pursue their interests because it just doesn’t seem like an option. That was me for a long time. I am super grateful for the fact that I fought against that, and that I ended up where I am.
if you don’t like science, fine. Don’t be a scientist. But if one day you have a daughter and she shows interest in being a scientist, PLEASE encourage her. Because Bill Nye is right, there need to be more women scientists in the world.
Fucking liberals won…again……NDP couldn’t get their heads out their asses to pull out a win….fuck. HOPE YOU LIKE PIPELINES
This doesn’t have as much to do with anybody’s heads in anybody’s asses…if anything, blame the 48% voter turnout. So hey let’s give a big thanks to all the lazy yuppie shitdicks who were too busy doing hot yoga or lines of coke off a hookers ass to take FIVE FUCKING MINUTES TO GO AND PARTICIPATE IN DEMOCRACY.
So, yeah - I dohope you like pipelines, BC. Oh, and by the way? If you didn’t vote, you have no right - LITERALLY NO RIGHT - to complain about your new Liberal majority government.